Fred Nijhuis

Your favorite Dutch wine writer


Formeel is Angelo Gaja gepensioneerd en zo, maar de wijnwereld houdt hem nog elke dag bezig. Hierbij zijn gedachten over 'changes'...

Not only the climate is threatening to change. VINEXPO BORDEAUX has been the wine fair par excellence for a long time. Born in 1981 and occurring every two years, it has grown little by little, attracting exhibitors and visitors from all around the world. Far too many, Bordeaux was not big enough to welcome them all and it was suffering from moments of great discomfort. As a consequence, at the same time, an increasing number of Bordeaux producers equipped themselves to receive the most qualified guests in their chateaux, offering them the chance to take part in the prestigious events they organized; in this way, they triggered a competition with fairs’ events, which was not beneficial for the quality of Vinexpo Bordeaux and lead to exhibitors’ dissatisfaction. In January 2020 for the first time VINEXPO PARIS will take place in the French capital city, held every two years alternatively with VINEXPO BORDEAUX. If there will not be any obstacles, in the future Paris will host the most prestigious international wine fair in Europe.

On the other hand, European wines will have to seek new customers on the Asian and African markets. More than attracting them to our country, it will become important to be able to intercept them in their homeland. VINEXPO, VINITALY and PROWEIN are already competing to reach this goal: they are organizing repetitive events on the Asian market, which put a hard strain on wineries, exposing them to the threat of wasting resources and time. Desirable change: an alliance between VINEXPO and VINITALY, planning a unique gathering, capable of welcoming and becoming an expression of the European wine promotion on international markets. The interest is mutual, producers would be thankful.

WINE ADVOCATE is the prestigious American magazine, initiated by Robert Parker. A few years ago it was bought by a Hong Kong entrepreneur, who then handed over 40% of it to the Michelin Guide. Rumours has it that the Michelin Guide would be interested in buying out the remaining 60%. So, in addition of being recognized for the stars assigned to the restaurant business, it would also become the guide to the most prestigious French wines, and not only. A strategic move.

Angelo Gaja
March 2019

Deel dit bericht:

Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin